31-Day Challenge: Day 30

Full disclosure: yesterday was nuts and I forgot to write. It’s the end of the challenge and I was distracted. Why? Read below…

Tuesdays take a lot out of me. Why, I really don’t know, but despite the fact that I get up at the same time as other days, and have the same number of classes as on other days, they really wear me out. Now that the weather has improved, it’s much easier to do something else immediately after class rather than coming home at 4pm and collapsing onto the couch.

Over the weekend, my nearly 5-year old iPhone 4s decided it just didn’t feel like turning on anymore. It’s been doing a whole pile of interesting stuff for so long that I don’t actually know the last time it was working “right.” It went through a phase where it vibrated nearly constantly for no reason, to not vibrating at all. It made noises some times, but not all the time. Somehow the alarm always worked, but that was about the only noise that it reliably made. Since it sometimes made unexpected noises, for the last few months I’ve left the headphones plugged in constantly while in class, lest it ring and interrupt everyone. Last week it rang, with the headphones plugged in, and scared the living crap out of me. I don’t understand how that one worked, but it happened.

I’d wanted to get a new phone and contract for ages, but because this is Germany, you have to cancel a previous contract three months in advance. I originally signed a 2-year contract, and if you don’t cancel it, it automatically rolls over for another year. My old contract was up in June, and we tried to cancel it on April 1st. No dice. Either sign a new one, or you’re stuck with us a whole year more. We tried to get some offers from my provider but they were all pretty much crap and then we were both busy so that got put on the back burner again.

So when Sunday rolled around and the phone just decided it was tired of working, I had had it. I managed to force start it enough to do emergency things, like get the South Tyrol pictures off of it that I hadn’t downloaded yet, and then I put my foot down. It was time.

Yesterday after work, BV and I made the pilgrimage into the city to see what could be done. Honestly, I don’t think the deal that I ended up getting was any better than those initial offers, but we were there, I have more than 800mb of internet per month (seriously, you try living with that when you spend as much time on trains as I do), and I have a new phone with way more storage and it seems to be working correctly for now. I was a happy girl.

After we took care of that, we ran over to the optician so I could pick up my new contact lenses, and now I’m a whole new person. We celebrated by going up to one of my favorite cafes for a little rose wine and some people watching, and then did a bit more wandering around. We made the executive decision to go for Greek food, which was an excellent choice as 1) we were already in the city so might as well, 2) we hadn’t been there in ages and the owner loves BV almost as much as I do, 3) we have no groceries at home, and 4) it was too damn hot to cook anyway.

Properly fueled by zucchini balls, feta, and other Greek goodies, we made our way back home. BV retired to digest his food baby, and I started the process of trying to set up my new electronic baby. Naturally updating one thing never works on its own, so updates to the computer had to be made, things had to be retrieved from clouds (the future is now!), and next thing I knew it was past 1am.

Guess time really does fly when you are in the cloud.

I’ve nearly got things where I want them, but as per usual, I’m having a bitch of a time trying to get audio tracks for my classes onto the phone. These damn things always format in a nutty way and end up somewhere that I can’t find them, and it’s insanely frustrating. On the plus side, I no longer have to physically carry a CD player around (seriously, I did that), but it still makes me excessively cussy. Baby steps though.


Editor’s Note: This is part of a 31-day challenge series for the month of May, in which I aim to spend at least 15 minutes writing about whatever strikes my fancy. Results may vary.


4 thoughts on “31-Day Challenge: Day 30

  1. to do emergency things, like get the South Tyrol pictures off of it that I hadn’t downloaded yet

    Pro-tip: Dropbox. I have the dropbox app on my phone, and when I’m at home and on wi-fi, it will automatically download any photos from the phone into your dropbox. Map the dropbox to my computer as well, and I have a backup of all the photos that can be copied off to any location. Since I figured this out, I’m never more than a few days behind in pulling pictures off the phone because all I have to do is get on wifi and open the app on the phone. Voila! Instant backup!

Ich liebe comments! Leave one here....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.